The Do’s & Dont’s of Social Media
We gave a talk on Digital Strategy and the Do’s and Dont’s of Social Media at a Retailers meeting last week. We decided to but the Do’s and Dont’s of Social Media on a blog post as you might it useful for your business.
Do Be Informative
1. Consumers expect incentives such as: like offers and coupons.
2. Posting useful tips can prove much more effective than posting a link to a specific product or service.
3. Ask your customers to share their personal experience with your products or services in the comments or through tweets or facebook posts.
Don’t Be Repetitive
1. Repetitive content and info overload are the 2 top reasons people “unfollow”.
2. One note updates can also be a turn off to your fans & followers.
3. Be creative with your posts and tweets, if you need to repeat a post, rephrase it is a different way.
Do Make a Tradition
1. Establish your online tradition that you share on certain days of the week.
2. Build your tradition around a theme, encouraging fans to share with their peers.
Don’t Be Impolite
1. Maintain your brands tone online
2. Relate your voice on social media to taking your clients out for dinner. Professional in a social environment.
Do Call For Action!
1. Ask your fans to like your pictures and share your content – making sure to thank them when they do.
2. Ask your follows to interact in a clear yet conversational tone.
3. You want to emphasis what is important to you is the feed back and not the “Likes”, “Tweets” and sharing of content.
Don’t Ignore Replies
1. Social media is about conversation not broadcasting.
2. Connect with fans by engaging in conversation.
3. If the conversation can not be resolved online, offer a private conversation by requesting their contact details.
Do Have a Crisis Plan
1. Online backlashes will happen, be prepared
2. Address the issue immediately with a professional response.
3. Do not delete the comment, post or tweet.
Don’t Just Use Text
1. Kick start conversations with high impact images and videos of your products.